Friday 10 May 2013

Road to recovery


Hello guys, I just got discharged from the hospital today and yes, I know my face is swollen like a pig. Or rather a hippopotamus like what Petrine said. The surgery went pretty fine until the end of the surgery when I was woken up by the nurses. It was the worst experience of my life. Almost like a near-death experience.

I had my mouth wired shut so there was no way I could breathe through my mouth and I had to breathe through my nose. The bad thing was there were lots of blood clots in my nose that made it impossible for me to breathe adequately. I got such a shock that I could't breathe properly that I jumped out of the bed and the nurses had to pin me down. It was quite embarrassing cause I was almost naked but all I could think of at that point in time was to breathe. I didn't want to die.

Luckily for me, they inserted an oxygen tube into my nose pretty quickly and that calmed me down quite a lot. In fact it was the most comforting thing ever even though it was quite uncomfortable. They also had suction tubes to suck out phlegm and saliva from my nose and mouth which made it a lot easier to breathe. I mean for someone who has always been breathing heavily through the mouth, it was quite a nuisance to take small intakes of oxygen through your nose and that kept me awake the entire night because I was afraid I would die not breathing.

Luckily I didn't. It was really welcoming to see Petrine and my mum and to be able to mime to them that I survived. Surprisingly there wasn't really much of a pain in my jaws or anything just that it's super uncomfortable. I'm unable to open my mouth so the only way I drink is to insert a syringe into my mouth and slowly swallow. It sucks pretty bad but then again I don't have much of an appetite either. The taste of the rubber bands in my mouth just turns me off. I've got like 24 cans of highly nutritious strawberry milk to last me for the next two weeks cause I won't be able to take any solid food.

I'm still waiting eagerly for Monday when I can finally remove my bands and not get my mouth wired shut. It sucks pretty bad to not be able to open your mouth. I think the swelling and numbness isn't much of an issue for me but I'd definitely want to breathe through my mouth again.

Special thanks to Jacob, Gary and Ben who came down to pay me a visit today and all the other well wishers! I'm pretty fine and I'm finally on my road to recovery!

Not to forget my mum and Petrine. <3

6 comments:

  1. Glad that you're safe and sound! (: Petrine's post made me worried too even tho we aren't close. Haha, physically not there to cheer you on, but all the best kay! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for the encouragement! I'll be fine soon!

      Delete
  2. You'll fine real soon dude! All the best of luck =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon Caleb. Hopefully I'll see you looking all good when i come back from australia. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers! Have fun in Sydney! :)

    ReplyDelete